Sunday, November 15, 2009

Christmas Party in November?

Yesterday was the annual Frontrunners party, which is a local running store in town. In fact, there are only 3 stores, 2 of which are in Victoria and one here in Nanaimo. I am not sure whether it is in fact a Christmas Party as there are no Christmas decorations; however, others tend to call it that so I will too.

For the past 2 years I have driven to the event, which occurs at the store in the north end of Nanaimo (about a 20-25 minute drive one way from my place). Last year, it fell on a night I worked, so I stopped by after work at about 11pm. Due to driving the past few years, I was unable to have anything to drink and was severely bugged about not drinking by one of the store owners, so this year I decided I would get a ride, kick back and relax with a few drinks.

Each year, they cover the shoe wall and clothing walls with plastic and push the center displays to the side, they hire a dj, buy a keg or 2 of beer, pick up some wine and charge $10 for unlimited drinks. The shop fills with probably at least 50 people, its hard to move around, people are drinking left right and center and by 10 or 11pm, the dance floor is full with runners having a blast. Outsiders may be surprised, but runners can sure party when they want to.

I too had a blast, though I am a very light weight for drinking as I rarely do it anymore. In the end,I think I had maybe 4 glasses of beer and I was good to go. In fact, I felt the buzz after 1 glass (I told you I was a light weight). Hard to believe that when I came back from Australia in 2004 I could put nearly 12 beers into me. The 4 beers was enough, added to leaving the store at about 1:30am, left me with a slight headache when I woke up this morning.

It was totally worth it though. Frontrunners knows how to party and I am already looking forward to next years party. Here are a few photos that a friend (Tony) took at the party.

Tami, John and I


Dennis, me and John



I can't end the post without a new photo of Socket. I left his treats out the other day and next thing I knew he stole them off the table and attempted to break into them. I captured some photos and video of it.



No comments: