Monday, September 28, 2009

Geese



I had a bit of a rough week last week for training, in which I had zero energy and questioned whether I was fighting a virus. That resulted in an extra day off just to be safe and changed my schedule a bit for this week. This means that I was scheduled for a speed workout today in which I hit the track for. It went well, at least better than last week. The real story is what happened after I finished my workout.

Just as I was taking in some water before a quick cool down, this guy comes up to me and asks me how it was going. I said fine, in which he responded by asking if I was still running around the track. I informed him I was done and then he proceeds to ask me about the geese who were now making their way from the school fields behind the bleachers onto the track. Now it wasn't just a few geese, there was probably at least 50. For some strange reason they love the Nanaimo Track and they love leaving their droppings all over the place. In fact, ever since I was a kid in the track club, this has always been the case.

He told me that he wasn't from around here and that he wasn't sure of the "geese protocol." I found this a bit funny and told him that generally the geese move, though sometimes slowly and sometimes not very far at all. I told him that I have never had them attack me though and basically not to worry about them. He said okay and went on his way.

Oh the story gets better, so he runs 200m the other way around the track, at which point the geese plant themselves from the steeple pit at 250m to about the 250m mark on the track. They are all over the lanes, not just in one area. Next thing I notice the guy reach the steeple area and he stops, pauses and looks at the geese and then turns around and runs the 200m the other way. So instead of running through the geese and getting them to move, he runs 200m back and forth to avoid them until they finally make their way onto the infield.

I don't know, but I guess due to the fact that I have always lived here and been around geese, I am not afraid of them. I shouldn't be hard on the guy considering he said he isn't from around here, but it still made me laugh how timid he was. I can still see him stopping and pausing, debating what to do and since I found it amusing, I thought I would share it all with you!

No comments: