Thursday, September 24, 2009

Doctors are useless

For those of you on my facebook, you will have seen the status update recently "Doctors are useless." For those not on my facebook, this will be new to you! So as I mentioned a few weeks ago, I first began having pain in my upper arm/shoulder area that radiated down my bicept towards my elbow. I have seen my physio who found 2 spots (neck and upper back) that were apparently stuck, so she released them through maniuplation. I saw no relief, so I saw a chiro who performed some ART. Once again, I saw no relief.

I guess I shouldn't say no relief, but very minimal relief. The last time I received any kind of treatment was the Friday before my 10km, so that would have been September 11th. Since then I have ignored the pain as best as possible, but here we are, 3 weeks after the initial pain started. I am starting to get frustrated and want to know what is going on. In the frustration, I decided to see my doctor to get his opinion. Well.... I will basically say, that was a waste of my time. I get into his office, he asks what is up and I tell him, shoulder pain after waking up 3 weeks ago. Didn't lift anything to pull anything and that it was after 2 days off of work. He tests the joint movement and says its not joint and that it must be muscular.

I question him on that as I do not see how it can be a muscular problem due to the fact that it only hurts when I am inactive. If I am running or busy doing things or working, I do not feel it; however, once I sit down and relax, I can feel it. If it was muscular, wouldn't it hurt while moving it? He basically says that its not joint and prescribed some anti-inflammatory meds and says if it still hurts after the 7 day course runs out, to contact him back and he will send me for an ultrasound. Let me just say, I am 24 hours into the anti-inflammatories and it still bothers me.

Also within the last few weeks, my lower back and hips have been bothering me. I am wondering if that has anything to do with it. Guess I should go see someone about that too. Man, I am almost 28 and falling apart! And with just over 2 weeks until my next race. Has anyone experienced any shoulder/upper arm pain that came without explanation.

1 comment:

D said...

Are geese something to fear? I never knew...