Monday, September 13, 2010

Land's End 10km Race Report

First order of business: Both kitties are now fine and healthy. About 48 hours after Socket got his shot, he perked up and started chasing Steve around the house again! Yay! He is no longer breaking my heart, but he is back to getting into mischief which made us say "maybe he was better off sick." =)

Second order of business and the main reason for this post is my race report. Let's just say I would like to ultimately forget this race. Not kidding. I haven't raced since my mile on the track in June which went incredibly well. It was followed by a no running, no working out, no nothing break. From there, I have put in some pretty awesome training with plenty of ups and downs. For the last few weeks it has been more down, finding out low iron and feeling like junk stuff; however, for the past week I have felt a slight perk again. Then comes the race. 

I went out and supported the Nanaimo 5km/10km/Half Marathon last weekend. Part of me wanted to race because it is my home race, but the course isn't ideal. Instead I opted for the Land's End 10km down in Victoria as it was supposed to be a much faster course. Plenty of fast times last year, but the rumor that the course was short. Nevertheless, it was a better course and a good chance to get in a good effort. 

I was scheduled to work this weekend, so I worked Friday and then took Saturday off. The race started at 9:15am on Sunday and I didn't want to work until 11:15 Saturday night and then have to leave the house by 6:30am on Sunday. I relaxed all night and attempted to have the lights out by 10pm. The lights were out, but I struggled to fall asleep. I really actually don't know how much I slept during the night because I woke up about 5 times and each time it seemed like I lied there forever waiting to fall back asleep. Let's just say the morning came REAL early! 

Jason came with me to Victoria as he wanted to visit a store that was only open in Victoria, which meant I didn't have to drive so that was nice. The one bad part about not driving is that by the time I got there I was starting to fall asleep. I also saw that the rainy drizzle that was in Nanaimo was also in Victoria, which meant a wet race. No big worries though. 

I picked up my race number and heard 2 ladies in front of me state "if I wasn't already registered, I wouldn't be running today," which made me laugh. It's only rain! My warm up felt okay, though my breathing seemed a bit more labored than it should have been. I chalked it up to nerves because I haven't raced in months. With a change of shoes and socks, the loss of extra clothes and the addition of a hat, I headed off to the start. 

We were advised that the km markers were a bit off, but that the course was measured and was not short this year. The top 2 male and females were also predicted, which didn't include me, though based on who I saw on the line I figured I had a chance at 2nd and hoped I could pull it off. There was money on the line $150 for first and $100 for second. I wanted to be top 2. 

The race started and off we went. I ran along side my friend and competitor Melissa. She is a very strong 10km runner (among other distances) and has proven herself often in the 10km distance over this past year. I knew it was a gamble to run with her though as I have yet to run a faster 10km. Then again, since Sept 2009, this was only my 3rd 10km (one in Sept 2009, one in April 2010 and then this race). Not ideal. I knew based on my fitness though, I should be able to keep up or within a reasonable distance. 

We went out at a good pace, nothing overly fast and it felt good. I felt good until about 4.5km and then I had a slight side stitch which made me lose contact. At the turn around, I think I was I don't know 15-20m behind. From there, that was the end of my race. My legs never once felt horrid and didn't hurt, but as much as I kept willing them to move faster, they decided to cruise at the their own pace. 

From that point I was also running all on my own watching the 2 people in front of me get further and further away. I knew the 3rd female (Claire) was likely gaining on me too as my km splits became slower. I knew when I had 1km left I had to pick it up. 2 people were gaining on me (1 male and Claire) and I just barely held off the male and Claire was 12 seconds behind. 

 Coming into the finish. I am apparently still guilty of sitting back. A bit blurry too as Jason used the wrong setting.

 
I finished in 38:41 which was 21 seconds off my PB, which might I add was from back in April and also a less than stellar feeling race. I had lost 1:17 on Melissa after 4km. lol. Good run Mel! I know it wasn't even near your best time either.

I was incredibly frustrated when I cross the line. Frustrated, disappointed and had simply had enough. I commented that my race was horrid, which was overheard and taken the wrong way by another runner (my bad). The race was horrid though. No way does it match up with my other races or training. I had to let off some steam. Maybe it was the wrong moment, but it was honest. I was speaking my friend Mike who also had a bad race, we both commented that maybe it was time to start drinking full time and quit running. =)

All and all it was a race and a solid effort. I wasn't overly fast for the first 5km and there is also rumors that the course might have been slightly long. No idea if it is true, my Garmin along with my friend Mike's said 10.06km which means 60m long. There were a lot of slower than normal times though. Anyway, I would rather a long course than a short course though. A short course gives a false impression. Also, this was my first race back, a rust buster basically. I am not making excuses, believe me, I just wasn't there on the day. This was not my goal race though, my goal race is on 10-10-10. I will take this crappy run, get over it, move on and hopefully smash my goal! 

I want to thank everyone who gave me supportive comments over the last 24 hours. I admit I was a big grump after my race. I sulked, I vented etc. I hope other athletes can understand though, you work so damn hard and then when a race goes incredibly wrong you take a hit mentally. It doesn't help that I am incredibly hard on myself and always have been! With that.... onto 10-10-10! 

1 comment:

Keith said...

it's coming. and you'll be ready, tapered and explosive.