Thursday, September 23, 2010

It finally caught up with me

Over the last few weeks, people at my work have been sniffling, sneezing and blowing their noses. I tried my best to avoid it, but it caught up with me. On Tuesday I told one of my co-workers that I had better not catch her cold. Last night (Wednesday) I went to bed with and plugged yet runny nose. I woke up with it slightly worse. Great! Then again, I have also been saying for the past few weeks that if I was going to get sick, I wanted to get it over with now. The reason? Because on 10-10-10 I have my fall race goal of the GoodLife Fitness Victoria Half Marathon. Heck of a name eh? Formally known as RVM (Royal Victoria Marathon), which was so much easier!

Nevertheless, my half marathon is coming fast! So I suppose to get sick now isn't too bad. I still have about 16 days to heal, which should ideally be plenty of time. And while I sit here whining that I am sick, I have to say that it is nowhere near as bad as the situation with Marilyn Arsenault, who was all set to debut for her first marathon this weekend at the Toronto Waterfront Marathon, but instead finds herself in the ICU at the hospital due to a blood stream infection! I feel absolutely crushed for her. She has trained so hard and was ready to rock out a good one, then on the day she is to fly out, she instead finds herself in an ambulance on the way to the hospital. What seemed to start from a tight hamstring, into an adjustment at the physio to a possible torn groin into a now blood infection. Absolutely shocking and heart breaking. Please get well soon Mar!

In the meantime, it's time to take care of my own health. While it sucks to be sick, things could always be worse! Remember that! =)

No comments: