Sunday, February 13, 2011

Test Run Fail

I am still in cross training mode. My routine has basically been a 60' elliptical run in the morning followed by a 30' spin on the bike to shake out the legs later in the evening. On Wednesday I attempted a test run, foregoing the 30' spin for a 30' easy treadmill run. It was not successful. The run itself felt okay, slight pain here and there, but not as bad as it was. Afterward though, I couldn't lift my right leg comfortably for the rest of the night. 

That was a bit disappointing, though I was happy that my leg felt better on Thursday. That day I changed the spin to a 15' spin/15' run. This run was better than the day before, but again not pain free. The only difference was that I didn't have any after effects. Friday I tried the same routine as Thursday. Still not pain free. 

This resulted in a change of plans for this weekend and I went back to foregoing the running and sticking with the elliptical and bike. Marilyn has been very kind in giving me some lessons on how to use the elliptical properly (if only we lived in the same city so we could be elliptical buddies to make the time go by faster). There are days when the time drags more than other days, but for the most part I am dealing quite well with using a machine rather than being out on the roads or trails. I simply cover the display and avoid looking at the clock on the wall. It helps that the gym I have attended for the past week has individual tv's attached right to their machine, so I have watched things such as hockey, Ellen, Big Bang Theory etc to keep me occupied. I will survive and I will pull through this better than ever. 

On a side note, someone asked me in my last blog why I don't try pool running. I would rather be in a gym stuck to a machine than pool run. I am not a water baby and never have been. The idea of getting in a pool and running sounds like torture to me. So while I hate to be stuck inside on an elliptical, I would rather than then a pool. 

This past Friday I saw my local doctor and requested an x-ray. Since my last x-rays were taken on an angle, I wanted new ones. He figured nothing would show on the x-ray but ordered it anyways. I think he also mentioned something about a bone scan to rule out a stress fracture too. I am pretty sure I don't have that, but I am okay with whatever tests I can get that will rule out issues and get me closer to what exactly is wrong. 

In the meantime, I am finding the cross training a nice change from the regular pounding and will continue with that until I am hopefully pain free. Oh and while I am doing that I will continue to wait for the MRI too, still no word or idea when that will take place.

No comments: