Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Post Pelvic Stress Fracture

I suppose it has been a few months since I last posted about my first stress fracture which occurred in the inferior pubic ramus. Let me tell you, this injury is a bitch to heal. Stress fractures in the foot or leg etc you can wear a boot and go about regular activities for the most part. When you fracture your pelvis, you can't cast that. You can't really stabilize it in order to allow it to heal. You simply have to wait it out and hope that it heals on it's own eventually. They do heal with time, but just not as easily as an injury that you can stabilize. 

People consider this type of stress fracture race and I suppose it is less common than stress fractures in your feet or lower legs; however, there have been quite a few well known elite athletes that have had this injury and have recovered from it. It's actually more common than you may think. Thank you Dylan Wykes and Paula Findlay for your helpful tips and suggestions. 

Here I am nearly 7 months after the initial injury. 7 months, is that correct? Wow, time flies when you look back. Funny how it doesn't seem to fly as you are going through it. On December 28th it will have been 7 months since the day I took myself to the hospital. I am something like 18 weeks back running since my initial run/walk start after practically 10 weeks little to no activity. So how are things going you might be wondering? Well, things are progressing each week. 

Comebacks are not easy and I am not going to sugarcoat it and pretend that they are. Easy runs for the longest time have made me feel as though nothing ever happened; however, workouts on the other hand remind me that I had 10 weeks with zero activity this summer. Your body may not "forget" how to run completely, but it does have a somewhat delayed memory when it comes to remembering how fast you used to do it!

Each week I am seeing improvements (big confidence boost to see the fitness jumps each week) and feel close to my former self. It won't be long until I am fully back. I had been attempting to come back to run National XC on November 29th as I somewhat felt I had something to prove. In the end Coach Matt and I decided that it wasn't the smartest decision to race. Actually Coach Matt said that WELL before I finally agreed he was right. I could have raced XC and done decently well; however, why race and risk injury when I didn't feel fully ready to give it a real go. Not going to lie, it was hard to sit out, but I know it was the best decision for me and it will pay off. 

Only 3 weeks are left in 2014. Since the summer I have been counting down until 2015 when I would race again. Now 2015 is going to be here before I know it. Will I be ready? Maybe not in peak shape, but I will be ready to finally give it a go. Have to jump back on the horse at some point right? 

Thanks to my current partners Asics Canada and Sundog Eyewear for their continued support during these unfortunately last 7 months.

Stay tuned for some upcoming news.   

 Back to doing what I absolutely LOVE!