Thursday, April 4, 2013

Back to my Roots

I spent close to 10 years of my life in the Nanaimo Track and Field Club (NTFC), which means between ages 8 and 18 I pretty much grew up in the club. After graduating high school in 1999, I ran one final XC season with the club and then ended my relationship with them per say. After nearly a 14 year separation and a brief 3 year relationship helping coach the NDSS (Nanaimo District Secondary School) track team, I am happy to say that I have rekindled my relationship with NTFC.

For the past 3 years (until this past September), I helped out with the high school until that unfortunately turned sour. I loved the kids I was working with, I just simply was not appreciated by the head coach so when we split ways, the president of the Nanaimo Track Club finally snagged me after a few years of trying. This is the polite way of putting things of course as there is PLENTY of things I could say about the split with NDSS, including a very "informative" e-mail I received that easily explains everything....... but I won't! ;)

I will say though, that the opportunity I have received through NTFC trumps everything I could have achieved with the high school. I am still in contact with quite a few of the NDSS kids and they know they can come to me any time. I am now happy to be able to offer my support and knowledge to the kids of NTFC as well. I am excited to learn more about the coaching process and gain some credentials with the help of the club. 

In other news, my next race is coming up in 16 days, which will be the Vancouver Sun Run (10km). I am looking forward to this event as Catherine Watkins (who I ran with neck and neck in the St. Patrick's 5km) and I have been talking about some pretty big goals. I look forward to working with Catherine in order to achieve them. 

Training has been rolling along and going well. I am working harder than ever and it appears to be paying off. With my goal races for spring coming up shortly (Sun Run on April 21st and Montreal Half on April 28th) I feel I am exactly where I need to be. If everything falls into place on the day, that will be the icing on the cake as I know my fitness is there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Erin,

It's great to see you going back to your roots. You've had such a long and filling history, and it's great that you're sharing this on your blog. :)

I’ve taken a look through your website and we think you’ve done a fantastic job in covering topics that our brand's active audience would be interested in reading about, such as walking, running, hiking, mountain climbing, etc. It would be great if you could join our community to feature your blog entries.

If you would like to learn more about this, please send an email with “outdoors” in the subject line to info at atomicreach.com.

Sincerely,
Tina

P.S. I hope you had fun in the Vancouver Sun Run!